Recalling the learnings or activities is an important factor for students to excel in their academics. Apart from memory exercises, it is significant to consider the diet and physical exercises too for enhancing the memory retention capability.
Let us have a brief understanding about the simple keys to enhance the memory power and excel well in academics.
Are you preparing hard for 10th standard Board exam?
If your answer is yes, then, you are one among those aspirants who want to score high marks in the exam.
Though, you have studied well and attempted a number of tests earlier, I understand, 10th board exam might have created a little more anxiety in you for the marks decides the selection of course for your next academic year.
Still, there is nothing to panic. You are already doing the best of your part. You are preparing well and better than before as you are aware of the value of the good score.
Well, memorizing what is learned forms the most influential part of the preparation. And, several students complain of failure to retain memory for a longer time.
So, let us memorize once again and jot down again-how to improve memory power to excel in 10th Standard Board Exam.
Understanding our Brain:
It is studied and proved from time immemorial that our brain has an incredible ability to reshape itself when learning matters. It is our concern to harness the natural power, increase the cognitive abilities, learn new things, and enhance the memory.
The main three boosters of memory improvement include diet, physical exercise, and brain activity. Let us understand all these one by one.
Diet as the Memory-booster:
The diet that is rich in nutrients is preferred for gaining good memory power. A few of the preferred diet includes,
- Omega-3 fatty acid rich diet. Eg. seafood, walnuts, flax seeds, winter squash, beans, spinach, pumpkin seeds, soybeans, and, etc.
- The antioxidant-rich food protects the brain and brain junctions from getting damaged. Eg. Fruits
- Carotene, Vit B & E rich components: Eg.Vegetables
- Limit calories by avoiding sugars, caffeine, and saturated fats.
Physical Exercise as the Memory Booster:
Attending a board exam never means that you have to shut-off from all your physical activities and study the whole day. In fact, physical exercises help you to boost the memory. Taking a break helps to relieve mental fatigue. A few of them includes:
- Dr. Chuck Hillman, University of Illinois says that 20 minutes of walk before an exam is highly recommended to boost the performance.
- Having a good rest by sleeping well for 7-8 hours is recommended.
- You can opt for Yoga too.
- Any exercise that is good for the heart is recommended for the brain too.
- The exercise that needs coordination of mind and hand acts as the real memory booster
- Avoid all screens before bedtime to keep the mind calm.
Brain Activities as the Memory Booster:
Watch out carefully that you do not stress yourself or put more burden on your brain. Relax. It’s just another exam which you are fond of since years together. So, play cool. A few of the brain activities include:
You can practice simple mental exercises. I will share one simple mental exercise for you here.
- Sit in a quiet place comfortably
- Just close your eyes and feel relaxed
- Remove off the wavering thoughts and concentrate
- Concentrate and listen to the sounds around you
- After a few minutes, open your eyes and relax
- Try to trace back all the sounds you heard
- Keep a count of it to match with your recall count
- Repeat daily at regular intervals-2 to 3 times a day preferable
- Enjoy the benefit of memory retention power
- In addition, chanting of Gayatri Mantra is beneficial for you.
Listen carefully while attending the classes. This will help you for long-term memory. Otherwise, it will lead to short-term memory, means, you feel that you have understood everything at that moment, but fail to recall later on. So, it is crucial to attend the class with much attention and dedication.
- Read out loud instead of murmuring.
- Draw diagrams, flowcharts, and illustrations.
- List down the points in a sheet.
- Try to teach what you have learned.
- Mind mapping or connecting the related things is helpful.
- Take time for friends in a week.
- Play memory games with friends.
- Derive short abbreviations for long answers.
Eg. Please Meet at Ten [PMAT]- for Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, and Telophase of Mitosis
Make A Portable Study Space:
It is recommended to keep changing the learning space. Do not sit always in a closed room continuously. Walk out of the room and sit in the balcony, terrace, or anywhere in your home.
While remembering the lessons, you can easily relate the place also. For eg., when you try to remember a trigonometric formula, you can easily associate yourself as you studied that in the terrace, and the blueprint image suddenly strikes your mind and makes it easy to recall the formula.
Revising what you have studied again and again is utmost important. Attend to class revision tests regularly without fail. Moreover, these days you find online practice test apps that help to evaluate your learning at your pace anytime.
Revising your studies help you to keep the learnings in your mind for a longer time.
As we wrap up, the final keynote is to ‘Stay Positive’ and ‘Relax’. Having a positive attitude is amazing to win not only your 10th Standard Board Exam but any exam in your life.
If you have any other time-tested pointers to share, you may do so in the comments section below.