The convenience of mobile use in reference to responsiveness, speed, time, and, more is making the mobile device as an ideal learning tool. Several schools have started to reap the benefits of mobile apps usage and are moving forward with Realty technology incorporation.
However, we still find a section of parents who are still hesitant to use mobile learning for their children.
Let us see how a school can advocate parents for mobile learning for the benefit of students.
Mobile learning is gaining traction in the education sector. We anticipate that mobile would transform the education field by helping our children to engage more actively through personalized and convenient learning.
In accordance, we find several mobile applications for education available on digital platforms for students of various classes and disciplines.
Still, are the parents in pace?
Have we embraced the mobile and other technologies such as Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, Artificial Intelligence or the machine learning as per its development speed?
In reality, the answer is ‘No’.
Let us understand the perception of parents, their concerns, and the actual reality in using mobile applications for education.
Parents perception of mobile learning:
It is undeniably noted that all children are exposed to mobile technology in one or the other away right from their home at a young age. Be it for time pass, play games, or to communicate with friends and relatives. And, the children are accustomed to family ownership of the devices or the platforms already.
To continue, the parents’ attitude in giving the ownership of mobile for their children differs. They scale age and gender for mobile usage relaxation. And, there are children indeed who are strictly not exposed to mobile technology in their early ages, though the parents own the devices.
And, the scenario is changing here and there today. Parents are realizing the benefits of mobile learning and are affirmative to provide mobile space for their children. But, while doing so, acknowledge that the children are using the mobile for downloading games and are utilizing most of the time in play rather than studies. Yet, parents of younger children and girls are showing positive attitudes towards mobile usage.
Many have started taking their parent’s phone to schools. And, certain schools are providing time for mobile use in school hours, provided it is a family-owned mobile device. In certain cases, parents have already bought mobile applications related to education for their children before the school would ask for so.
In this combined journey of parents, children, and school, how schools can afford to pursue mobile learning? Let us explore here.
How schools can advocate parents for mobile learning
- Help the parents to know how mobile apps can be used productively and safely as a learning tool.
- Develop mobile device usage policies and partner with parents while doing so, that they are convinced for it.
- Make a list of parents who are already supporting the mobile device usage and have adopted it.
- Tweak the mobile apps as per convenience with the help of developer team just as the BYOD devices.
- Provide guidelines on the safe use of mobile devices and the customization of permissions for children to use safe and secure.
- Develop policies for communication with parents through mobile rather than using for study purpose alone.
- Get connected with other institutes using mobile apps and join forums for implementing smooth and advanced interactive measures.
- Share the learnings and experiences of other schools who have adopted mobile learning in their curriculum.
- Provide sources of information to explore for parents to support their child’s learning.
- Partner with other parent organizations to share the benefits of mobile learning, and inspire them to adopt mobile culture.
- Establish written guidelines to share with parents on mobile devices and evaluation of content.
- Make and share a learning design that supplements outside the school learning, so that children learn fast and better.
As the mobile device is becoming an integral part of the child’s education, it is parents and teachers concern to see that our children are using mobile in its active form rather than passively.
When the mobile is here to stay, it is time that we enrich the traditional-based learnings with the touch of technology for future benefits.
It’s a continuous journey and efforts for parents and teachers to deliver the best for our futuristic next generation students.