Digital literacy is crucial for today’s students. It is necessary to understand the communal issues, ethical behavior, online professionalism, and measures to adapt to stay safe online.
Let us understand the importance of digital literacy for students here.
Digital literacy is the ability to use information and communication technologies to find, evaluate, create, and communicate information, requiring both cognitive and technical skills, as per the American library associations digital literacy taskforce.
In this digital era, it is necessary for high school students to become digitally literate. The students must be introduced to digital tools, online behavior, social engagement, awareness of online safety measures, thinking and communication ability.
Digital literacy is crucial and students must know how to use digital facilities and deliver or receive digital information meaningfully. Let us understand how teachers can promote digital literacy in the classroom, model digital ethical behavior in students, realize the benefits and create awareness about digital footprints here.
Promoting digital literacy in the classroom:
A few of the ways to promote digital literacy in classrooms have been discussed here.
- Design and deliver lessons using an interactive whiteboard
- Facilitate students to maintain wikis, web pages, or blogs
- Get connected with the students from other countries through email or chat
- Create and publish stories using storytelling media
- Set up a facebook page and encourage regular postings
- Record scientific experiments and use video editing software
- Use of mobile apps for revision and communication with school
Moving forward, let us understand what a student must be aware of when working online. The students may or may not know the consequences of their activities online. It is recommended to have an informed decision.
Modeling ethical digital behavior in high school students:
The students must be aware of the following things while moving online.
- Creating secure passwords and remembering them
- Protecting sensitive information and maintain privacy
- Knowing what to and what not to post on social media
- Understanding geotagging and facial recognition
- Taking safety precautions while posting photos
- Knowing the online property rights for online assets
- Citation of work taken from other resources
- Understanding cyberthreats, cyberbullying, and viruses
- Ensuring digital identity and personal branding
- Becoming professional in the globally connected zone
Benefits of digital literacy in classrooms:
Learning digital skills should be the part of education today. The teachers should ensure that every student is able to participate and benefit from the web. Some of the benefits include:
- Facilitates ease of use with technology
- Motivates students in learning
- Suits students possessing varied learning styles
- Facilitate students share their achievements with friends and family
- Explore technology medium under the guidance
What a high school student should know about digital footprints?
However, when using online facilities, the students must be aware and beware of certain realities and act accordingly. They are
- You leave a trail of data whenever whatever you search online
- The elements of digital footprints are permanent and traceable
- The digital footprints may help or harm reputation in future
- All the online activities exist even if you delete it
- Think before you post anything online
- Do not send any personal opinions in public
- Googling yourself would be a suggested habit to know how you show up online
- Delete any unwanted or old accounts online
- Maintain privacy and hide personal details using privacy settings
- Take care of friends and ask before tagging any of your friends
Get ready to be called as a digital citizen.